Final Reflections on Darfur. . .

111506_wave_reflections520Recently, the Blurb Nation spent a bunch of time participating in an amazing global effort led by kids and designed to raise attention to the genocide occurring in Darfur.  That project culminated last week, with a “comment-fest” on the Many Voices Darfur blog.  Here are some of the powerful thoughts that we added to the conversation:

The Drama Queen wrote:

George Bush and maybe even the future President of America:

Please, hear the cries of pain of these poor, innocent civilians living in Darfur. Watch them and their struggles to survive, but not from afar. Step up and do your part, because you are not the only human who deserves to live a good life in this world. The people in Darfur all deserve the same wonderful life we have here.

What if your own country was under this terrible genocide? Wouldn’t you step up and do your part then? America strives to be nonracial in the country itself, but shouldn’t we help the world with that too?

Imagine, thousands dead, millions sent away from their rightful homes. War, pain, suffering, and death are what the people of the Darfur region are constantly looking at everywhere they are.

You might say: “Well, what should we do? Their government does not let anyone else in, and we cannot have our soldiers fight two wars at once! Anyways, why should we have this war, the government might think we are meddling and America might make a new powerful enemy.”

The answer to that is the same as it was in the genocide that happened against Jews in the World War II. The same reason we are trying to bring democracy to the people of Iraq. The answer is simple: It’s not right, and it’s not fair. People are dying from the governments. People are being sent away. Nobody is making a big step to help.

Let’s step up and HELP.

The Sketch Sensi wrote:

Drama Queen asked:

What if your own country was under this terrible genocide? Wouldn’t you step up and do your part then? America strives to be nonracial in the country itself, but shouldn’t we help the world with that too?

I don’t agree because why does everyone always ask America to help them with something we have no business of? Also, do we do this for reputation, or do we really care?

I think that people rely on America for to many things. We fought for our own independence and didn’t have help from other countries. So why should they ask for our help?

I do think we should open the door for them, but we shouldn’t have to do it all.  I also think that we could be a role model, but not a security guard. They can learn from us, but not always call for our help.

The Terrible Taco wrote:

Eric wrote:

When I found out that 15,000 people die a month and 200,000 people have fled to refugee camps in neighboring Chad, I was so surprised when I heard about it. We need to plea to President Bush.

I agree with Eric about the crisis in Darfur. When I found out that 15,000 people die a month and 200,000 people have fled to refugee camps in neighboring Chad, I also was surprised. I think that we can do more than just let our President Bush know about this crisis. We can raise awareness to the rest of the world.

Pebbles wrote:

I wonder why, out of all the charities in the world, why should I care about Darfur, and all the horrible things that happen to young girls just like me and their families.

And I know the answer: because if you were living in a refugee camp, starving, needing medical attention, and scared you would plead others to help you, now wouldn’t you? Since we are fortunate enough to be able to live in healthy countries such as America or Western Europe, we should do everything we can to help.

But let’s face it: caring about refugees in Darfur isn’t exactly on top of my agenda. With all the regular problems in my life and what I care about, such as school and friends and sports, and all the other charities on the world, you don’t really feel the pain and suffering of the black African population, half a planet away.

So think: think how fortunate you are, and how many things you have you don’t really need. Look at your big house with pictures of happy memories, and then see your house through a black African’s eyes. When they look at their house they see a small heap of rubble, courtesy of the Janjaweed.

This is along the lines of the typical thinking of a typical kid.

Spread the awareness, and let people know about the genocide in Darfur. Let people know about all of the starving kids and families and all of the murdered people and all of the black Africans that are living in refugee camps. And all the other comments that kids are leaving on this blog are unbelievable, because so many people care about this project.

And so do I.

The Chicken Chaser wrote:

One thing I have learned about The Janjaweed militia is that they not only are causing problems with the genocide in Darfur and killing many people of different ethnic groups but, that they are also killing many elephants which are an endangered species in the wild. The reason they are doing this is to raise money for their militia and kill more people and do the bad things they’ve been doing.

They are specifically selling the tusks of elephant which are made out of a valuable material called ivory and can be used for many things. Ivory can make the militia money fast 1.5 tons of ivory can be worth as much as 1.3 million dollars. Even though it is quick cash it is illegal but, many people including the Janjaweed are willing to do it even though it is illegal and the elephant population in the wild is dropping and the elephant species is vanishing.

I think that this is another problem that we should really worry about and do something to stop it. It’s not only bad that they are killing innocent people because if their race, but it is also bad that they are killing an already dying species I think that we should focus on both these problems with the Janjaweed if no one dose anything about it soon enough we wont have any people of a different race in Darfur and no elephants.

Do you think that we should focus more and care more about the genocide or the dying elephants?

Sleeping Beauty wrote:

Kate M. said if you were a victim how would you feel about the fact that genocide never worked but people in country are still doing it?

I think that a victim would be very upset and very angry because imagine watching people in front of your house being beaten and killed or taken to refugee camps. I think it would be very painful for them. Knowing exactly how they feel because they have gone through the same torture and pain.

But I have a question for you Kate, how do you think the Janjaweed feel doing these things to the poor black Africans? I mean why do you think they are doing this? Do you think that maybe the government is forcing them to do this? Or do you think they are doing it because they dislike the black Africans? Or maybe just because it’s there hobby? But it’s hard to think that a human being would be willing to do this heartbreaking thing to millions of people.

I think that genocide will never work and it is a very cruel thing to be doing to people. I mean think about, what is genocide really helping? NOTHING!! It is just killing off the black African human race! The Janjaweed need to think about what they are doing and is it really worth it all?

I have another question what do you think the Janjaweed soldiers would do if there family was attacked or killed in the camps? How would you feel if you’re relatives were put through this pain? Would you stop your cruel being and pled for mercy?

Cybergirl wrote:

Dakota from Maine said: “Don’t you think that it would be hard for you to sit down and talk to someone who is a refugee from somewhere, and talk about all the horrors they have gone through?”

Interesting question, Dakota. But my argument to you is this: do we really have to talk about the horrors the people of Darfur have gone through? Instead of dwelling on the past, why not talk about how to persuade the rest of the world to help, and how to change what is happening in Darfur?

The people of Darfur need help, that part is clear. What we should try to do is figure out how to help them. Could the US send in its army? Could the world send in money for the needy country? What can we do to stop what is happening in Darfur?

It’s something to consider, don’t you think?

Skippin’ Fruity Girl wrote:

Lucy P. said that if she were to visit a camp in Chad, that she would be terrified because of the Janjaweed soldiers. I personally agree with Lucy because I always wonder what would happen if I were to stand up to someone as powerful as the Janjaweed. Would I be put under punishment for trying to help someone in need?

Now that I see what these people are going through, I think about how in America everyone gets what they want whenever they want it. In Darfur, people get what they can when they can.

See the difference?

This made me wonder….. Should we use some of our spare time to help the people in poverty? Will helping the people in need pay off some day?

I think that it is worth it because if you do someone a favor, they will pay you back by doing you a favor. Imagine you living in poverty. Would you want someone to help you? I most likely would.

If I were living in poverty, I would really appreciate it if someone gave me at least a blanket to stay warm at night. If you’ve noticed, people in America haven’t even given up a few minutes of their time to go drop of some clothes or food for the poor. Do you think that’s fair to the people in Darfur or other poor countries?

Take some time to think about it………

Have I changed your mind about HELPING?

The Wicked Awesome Monkey Dude wrote:

Johny K. said," I think that even if it’s not in our country that we should still help because then all the Black Africans in Darfur will die."

I agree, it is sad when ANYONE is killed. But is that what America is known for? Caring for other people; no matter when, where, or how. Is that a good thing? I think it is, but it puts a lot of responsibility on America.

If there is a place of poverty, what country has to take care of it? Not the Brits, the U.S.! If there is genocide taking place, once again, us the U.S.!

Should we limit what we do to take care of other countries? Why not try to get more people around the world to realize it?

Jake the Snake wrote:

Robb g. wrote,

But what is most hypocritical of the entire Sudan genocide situation is that many watch the news, many take notice, but some stand up, and boldly claim "I’m Going to help them!"

Hey Rob I think it is interesting that nobody is doing anything to stop this genocide but Is standing up to a militia like the Janjaweed really as you think it is? It’s easier said then done.

Do you really agree that just one or two people can stand up to this powerful movement? I don’t. If we really want to end this genocide than other countries have to step in and stop this mass chaos in Africa.

And it isn’t going to happen easily either!

The Modern Typewriter wrote:

Austin K. wrote: “The Joker asked if the Genocide isn’t in our country then why we should care about it? I think that even if it’s not in country that we should still help because then all the Black Africans in Darfur will die.”

I am in a mixed position about which side I should take. I mean, yeah, I feel terrible about what is happening in Darfur, and I think we should help, but I mean if America were to have Genocide tomorrow, would Sudan come to help us out?

I don’t think that Sudan would come to help us because even if they experienced a genocide (which is happening now!), do they really care about another race in a whole other country?

I agree with Kate M. I think that other countries are too busy to help with other countries they don’t even associate with. The USA is currently is Iraq fighting. I would consider that busy, wouldn’t you?

And lastly why is it always the USA’s responsibility to care for other countries? I don’t think that it is right that the USA is always ending up paying for something or giving something to other countries that haven’t done something for them in return. It is like Latvia and Lithuania get in a fight and they just rely on America to break them up. You got yourself into that fight, get yourself out!

Primus The Pragmatic wrote:

Julia said that asking a child from Chad would be huge. You could ask him how he feels and how he lives now because of genocide. I think I would ask him so many questions it would take all day!

Julia I totally disagree, I think I agree with Sarah I wouldn’t know what to say I would be too embarrassed. Embarrassed of what? I’m embarrassed that America hasn’t done anything to help.

Our government says it sends money over to help in Africa, and that’s probably true…One tincey wincey problem, all the governments are corrupt and they steal the money and food we send.

Well that’s easy to fix. Right? Just send people with it and make sure it gets there. But nope that would be "too expensive" that statement alone makes me feel like our government is corrupt or just VERY cheap.

Do you think you would be too embarrassed to say anything?

Flying Onion Boy wrote:

Austin K Said,

"Do you think that if we don’t do anything that all the Black Africans will die?"

I have a question about that comment. Is "we" the United States? Or is it the whole world?

That leads to another question. Is it just the United States job to end this genocide?

I think the whole world should be helping with this matter.

Should the United States be the doctor for the world? Should we ask help from other countries?

The Writing Lunatic wrote:

What is happening to our world? We are supposed to be one huge jigsaw puzzle, illustrating one main picture. But there’s always one chunk missing. Is it care? Empathy? Love?

Right now, it’s all three. We, as a community, we, as helpers, and we, as a world should be HELPING those in NEED! Imagine being separated from your family, at whatever age you are, and being expected to survive on your own. Not knowing whether or not the rest of your family is alive, and not knowing whether or not there will be a tomorrow.

Will we ever be able to see the big picture? Will we be able to keep it together long enough to care about the problems of the world? And the main question is: Will we be able to stop our world from falling apart before it’s too late?

Dancer 96 wrote:

President Bush-

I hope you know about all the problems in Darfur. Now is not the time to be worrying as much about Iraq. If you disagree, just think about this-

Is genocide less important than war? If you think it is, just imagine Darfur as the United States.

Are people being driven from their homes not important to you? Are people’s villages being destroyed not important to you?

What about people’s lives being messed up and ruined? That doesn’t seem important, does it? Think about the darfurians being Americans. How would that be different for you?

If your kids were separated from you and trying to survive on their own, what would you do?

If your wife had to walk for three Hours straight, would that change your opinion?

Think about your home. Isn’t that something you take for granted? Well, Darfurians sleep on sticks with a tarp as a roof. Does this mean anything to you?

Jumping Bean wrote:

Daleano said: If I were to sit down and talk to a refugee and tell what were doing in our country to help spread the word that there’s bad things going on in Chad and Darfur and the Janjaweed

I disagree with Daleano because we really are not helping the people in Darfur. We are writing about this in our blogs and talking about this in our classrooms.

But is this really going to reach the government in Darfur, is this really going to save the people there. We are so far away, and the government will not let our army in to Darfur.

So is this going to make a difference?

The Second Drama Queen wrote:

Have you ever thought about how many genocides have been committed? How many of these genocides have been successful? If none of these have been successful why do people still attempt genocide?

If you were a victim how would you feel about the fact that genocide never worked but people in country are still doing it?

I have been studying many different genocides and I have noticed they all have one thing in common they all are based around one race’s pride.

The genocide in WWII was about German pride. The genocide in Eastern Europe was about Serbian pride?

Do you think people use pride as a way to gain power and do you agree with that?

Our Boy Teeterton wrote:

I think the genocide is very important. It is horrible because they are killing all of the Darfurians and destroying their homes. Also many people in Sudan are poor.

Most people in the United States do not care about this genocide. Think about when Hitler tried to kill all the Jews in World War 2. Everyone cared about the Jews during that time.

How would you feel if you lived there and no one was helping you?

Also do you think Sudan being poor has anything to do with the genocide?

The Belgian Waffle wrote:

Sara from Nevada said: The prompt asked how I would explain to the child what was being done to help them. The answer: not enough.

I understand where you’re coming from, Sara. If everybody would pitch in to help the people of Darfur, then this wouldn’t be such a problem. Some people may ask, “Why should I care?” Why? Because right now, you’re either safely at school, home, work and anywhere else, and the genocide seems so… unreal. I think what may be happening here is that since not much awareness is being raised against this issue, people don’t think that it’s getting out of hand.

History is repeating itself. Not once, not twice, but several times. Genocide mainly occurs because it doesn’t hit people that something really may not be what it seems.

The Germans thought that the Jews were taking all their money, therefore causing inflation to one side of the country, so they were killed. But really, was it the Jews fault? Is it that people always want to blame a problem occurring in their life on some one else? Do people have a hard time finding fault in their own actions?

The Writing Lunatic wrote:

Kate M. wrote:. Many other countries are dealing with other problems like immigration, elections, and so much more. I would never think that no one tries to help but they probably get busy.

We can worry about our troops and all sure, but you are sitting at your computer right now while a whole race is being brutally killed off one by one.

We can say that we are a town or a state or a country or a continent, and that we don’t need to get involved in other countries and stuff but, in the end we are all one world.

In the end we are not just a town or a state or a country or a continent, we are a world that is slowly falling apart and some of us are too lazy to do something for someone that is not near you.


This world is not up to individual countries, it is up to all of us.

Anger and hatred is rolling in from across seas like a tsunami swallowing us whole. A tornado of cries for help blow past and all we can say is they are a different country, what about our world? We think that hurricanes and tsunamis are going to kill our states and countries and what not but can you see what is going to kill our world.

Hate and evil and these lazy people are the most dangerous threat I have seen so far.

What do you think should be done to this world that may not be obvious but I think is soon about to erupt with hate and kill more people than any volcano can!

I don’t think we can be too busy to help with genocide!

Is it our problem?

The Joker wrote:

Gregor I. you said: “Think about if someone, or lots of people, came into the US and started killing off Americans by the thousands. How would that make you feel?

I think that if America’s citizens were being killed then people would come to help since we are a superpower.

If Sudan was a superpower then do you think that people would come to help them?

Image retrieved from http://www.jmg-galleries.com/the_wave/111506_wave_reflections520.jpg on March 12, 2008.

Advertisements

About Bill Ferriter

I'm a real-live, bona-fide, full-time practicing classroom teacher. #takeTHAT
This entry was posted in Africa. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Final Reflections on Darfur. . .

  1. james bond says:

    The name’s Bond, James Bond. Last night me and my mom had a argument, and she said if I don’t learn how to behaive she would send me to military school. That really got me thinking on what is happening at Darfur.
    If I was at Darfur, and had to leave to protect the black Africains, I know I would miss my family. My family would miss me. But what would happen if I didn’t make it home. Many of the BLurbers above spoke of broken famalies in Darfur. A broken bone is better than a broken family.
    Because family is love.
    Love is power.
    And power is what we need in this dreadful world.
    Comment back…

  2. But truly what is power? Power is the freedom to make decisions for yourself right? But its like that isn’t enough for anybody. Like Mr. Adolf Hitler, he couldn’t just rule over Germany, he needed more.
    In my opinion, power is the one thing that will tear the world apart. A leader might be like “Hmm, I think we should start another war for more power, what do you think, Mr. Medvedev?”
    Once you think about it, power is truly just ruthlessness. It could kill 6,000,000 Jews, it could force 2.2 million black Africans out of their homes.
    What is the true meaning of power?
    -The Vampire Slaying Cricket From Zambobway

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s